How to pick up the right fragrance for your house
Ms. Rupal Tyagi
Certified Aromatherapist, Perfumer and Founder-Wikka
Fragrances are known to be very personal. Each person has their own signature style and special preference when it comes to for fragrances. Personality is key to choosing the right fragrance. The personality of the homeowner is an important fact that needs to be taken into consideration while purchasing the right home fragrance.
Aromatherapy essential oil blends are a pure and natural way to add fragrances to your home. They are naturally occurring substances found in different parts of plants – the blossom, fruit, leaf, stem, bark, wood or resin. Pure essential oils are used in a way to positively affect physical, emotional and mental health. They also help to enhance mood, relieve symptoms such as pain, fatigue or inflammation, or be used to kill germs.
Essential oils are broadly categorized into scent groups-
Floral- lavender, geranium, jasmine and rose
Citrus- lemon, grapefruit, orange and bergamot
Spicy- cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg , clove and pepper
Woody- cedarwood, rosewood, patchouli and sandalwood
Herbaceous- such as tea leaves, freshly cut grass, peppermint, chamomile, eucalyptus and rosemary
Aromatic blends can be spread easily through your home through a diffuser.
Choosing the right fragrance for your home is a daunting task especially when there are a multitude of options to choose from. It is useful to spend time considering which perfume will be ideal for your home. Here are a few tips that should make your task easier:
- Floral and woody notes if used individually can give you a more serene and positive environment in your house.
- Citrus notes like lemon grass, green apple, Lime, Orange will give you a feeling of happiness and contentment around.
- Large houses with a lot of greenery around should have fragrance blends with a strong note of Citronella in them to keep insects and mosquito’s at bay.
- Houses with infants, toddlers and small children can have a house fragrance that is pre dominant with Chamomile Essential oil. This specific oil soothes and calms the mind of the child and is gentle on their skin as well.
- Rooms of the elderly people should have prominent notes of Rosemary and Eucalyptus which are rejuvenating, keeping their minds alert and also act as disinfectants. Elderly people could use more of sandalwood blends at night for a calming and undisturbed sleep.
- For rooms of young couples, it is always beneficial to have citrus notes for the day time and woody notes for the night time. Citrus notes would keep them invigorated all throughout the day for work while the floral woody blend would destress them after a long tiring day. It helps in grounding the mind and soul giving you a nice sleep.
- For hosting an engaging and a successful party, one could use a fragrance blend that comprises of Lavender, Juniper berry, Lemon and some green notes to keep the party tempo alive for long.
- For meditation rooms, one can use a blend which has frankincense and myrrh as their dominant notes.
- Woody notes can be used around wedding time in your family when everybody is anxious with the preparations as it helps to calm down the nerves and preparing for the occasion better.
- Houses with atriums should use exotic notes that add on to the feeling of luxury.
- Houses done up in a traditional Indian way could use spicy and woody notes blended well to give that authentic traditional feel.
- People who love to keep antique furniture, murals and figurines in their houses could use a lot of cedarwood, cypress and patchouli notes.